Creating your first map
This section covers how to create your first map with WP Go Maps and should be read in conjunction with the subsequent sections for Creating your first marker and Displaying your Map on your WordPress site
The Following Plugin/s need to be installed and active
- WP Go Maps
After you’ve installed the WP Go Maps (WPGM) plugin, you should see a new Maps link in the left navigation menu of your WordPress Dashboard (left sidebar when you are logged into WP Admin).
If you are using the Pro Add-on for WP Go Maps you are able to add additional maps from the Maps page. Selecting the Add New button at the top right of the page will present you with options to create a New map, or Selecting Wizard will ask you a few question about the map you would like to create and then create a new map based on your responses.
Once you have selected edit on the existing map or have created your new map, you will automatically be navigated to the map editor
The General Settings for the map can be edited On the General Settings Tab
The Following General Settings are displayed:
The following general settings items can be configured from this page:
- Edit this to change the name of the Map (it does not show up on the front end).
- : This is the shortcode you will copy to display your map on a post or page (this will be explained on the Displaying your Map on your WordPress site )page. Selecting the "Click here to automatically create a Map Page now" will open a new tab on the WordPress New Page editor with shortcode preinserted on the page.
- The starting Zoom Level for your displayed map can be changed by dragging the circle on the bar.
- This is where you can set the dimensions (width and height) of your map. Values can be changed from pixels to percentile (%) if desired. Make your map responsive (mobile-friendly) by setting the width to 100% and the height to 400px. We recommend that you leave your height in PX. Depending on your theme, using % for the height may break your map.
- Using your mouse, click and drag the Preview Map to the desired starting location and then press the Save Map button.
- Save Map button. Your map will load again with the dimensions you inserted.